This is one of those words that have been co-opted to have many meanings. It is often used to refer to a synth sound or patch. Indeed, early Oberheim instruments that could produce two or four sounds at once where called the Two Voice and Four Voice. Musicologists may be familiar with the term “voicing” as referring to the distribution of notes in a chord, or of notes and chords between different instruments in an ensemble; alternatively, sometimes you will hear the act of creating presets as “voicing” the instrument.« Back to Glossary Index
- Learning Modular November/December 2022 Newsletter: Mono, Stereo, or Surround?
- Learning Modular/Alias Zone October 2022 Newsletter: Positive Module Trends
- Learning Modular/Alias Zone September 2022 Newsletter: Live Performance Checklist
- Learning Modular August 2022 Newsletter: Performing in Quad
- Learning Modular July 2022 Newsletter: Remembering Dave Smith