This is one of those words that have been co-opted to have many meanings. It is often used to refer to a synth sound or patch. Indeed, early Oberheim instruments that could produce two or four sounds at once where called the Two Voice and Four Voice. Musicologists may be familiar with the term “voicing” as referring to the distribution of notes in a chord, or of notes and chords between different instruments in an ensemble; alternatively, sometimes you will hear the act of creating presets as “voicing” the instrument.« Back to Glossary Index
- Learning Modular July 2022 Newsletter: Remember Dave Smith
- Learning Modular June 2022 Newsletter: Electronic Music Performance
- Learning Modular May 2022 Newsletter: Latency in Digital Modules
- Learning Modular April 2022 Newsletter: Ambient Performance
- Learning Modular March 2022 Newsletter: Overload!