Share This

That hole you plug your patch cables into on the face of your synthesizer modules? That’s called a jack. The size and type of jack – 3.5mm, banana, or 1/4” – often is one of the defining features of different synth module formats: 3U/Eurorack, 4U, and 5U/MU respectively.

(No, a plug is not called a Jill. Actually, it’s the other way around: A plug is sometimes referred to as a male connector, and a jack is referred to as a female connector.)

« Back to Glossary Index