In modular synthesis, a “ping” input is a place where you can patch a trigger or gate of any duration, and it converts it into a simple envelope. In particular, some filters and low pass gates (LPGs) have Ping inputs that create an instant attack and fairly quick decay to form a percussive-style envelope, internally patched the the filter’s cutoff frequency. If the filter is oscillating due to high resonance, this creates simple analog percussion sounds such as classic drum machine kicks.« Back to Glossary Index
- Learning Modular July 2022 Newsletter: Remember Dave Smith
- Learning Modular June 2022 Newsletter: Electronic Music Performance
- Learning Modular May 2022 Newsletter: Latency in Digital Modules
- Learning Modular April 2022 Newsletter: Ambient Performance
- Learning Modular March 2022 Newsletter: Overload!